Monday, May 23, 2011

Development Research

Currently I am trying to research as much as I can and learn new programming paradigms / refresh myself on a bunch of material over the Summer. I need to get my thoughts organized, so here I'm going to try to write down exactly what I want to review / study over the summer.

Programming - C++
There are a few books I am currently looking at about C++ programming style / object-oriented style in general. Here are a list of the books I'm trying to read/finish in the next month or so.

- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software - I want to try to finish the entire book. It has a lot of classic object-oriented software design concepts which are necessary to know as I move forward with studying Ogre.
- Effective C++ and More Effective C++ - Alot of this stuff I already know, but I would like to finish reading the rest of the methods I do not know about.
- Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++ - Great book for learning standard programming issues associated with object-oriented c++ and c++ in general.

Graphics Methods, Algorithms, and Techniques
- Computer Graphics: Principles and Practices in C, 2nd edition - A class graphics text. I should read this cover to cover to refresh myself on basic algorithms.
- CG Tutorial - Two reasons: Introduction to the CG shader language, and also as a starting point to explore the CG Run-Time more in depth before my internship. All chapters and appendices.
- DirectX Tutorials - To refresh myself on basic DirectX and learn more advanced techniques.
- OpenGL Advanced techniques - Need to read the newest version of the Red Book, especially the advanced portions.
- Orange Book - For GLSL shading language.

Projects / Supplements
- Thesis / ideas that need to be implemented for research.
- Proposal
- Finish program
- Explore avenues for collision detection
- Write thesis and be prepared to defend by August.
- OGRE - I really want to dive into this system to learn about stanard engine techniques. From everything I have heard and seen, Ogre also has some great object oriented design techniques implemented in it.
- Implement surface envelope algorithm and try to create a utility which will create a control mesh.
- Thesis proposal!!!!

Other books will no doubtfully come along, but these are my priorities for the next few months. I have a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment